Date By Date
Life at Fort Snelling
The Goodhue Vols. is now Company F
The First Minnesota Regiment Volunteer Infantry  Comes Together
The Pioneer Guards
The Stillwater Guards
The St. Paul Vols.
The Lincoln Guards      
The St. Anthony Souves
The Goodhue Vols.   
The Fairbault Vols. 
The Dakota Vols.
The Wabasha Vols.
The Winona Vols.              
Monday, April 29th
Ten companies were Assembled at Fort Snelling.
The companies brought a assortment of weaponry. Some companies were formed in part by pre-existing
State Militia and had appropriated the arms of those companies, consisting of Springfield Rifle Muskets.
These were considered the best arms in the service at the time. In others, Mississippi Rifles with sword bayonets and still others had temporary arms of various patterns from the state arsenal.

One account states, the men that carried the Springfields were allowed to keep them. All others were said to have been replaced with what was said to be a very effective .69 Cal. Springfield US Musket 1842.

The papers of James A Wright states, Co. F carried a  .69 cal. Harper's Ferry smooth bore that fired buck shot, through the battle of Bull Run , when it was replaced with a .58 cal. and that they were issued their federal uniforms at that time also.
Alexander Wilkins
Bromley- Lewis McKune
William H. Acker
Henry R. Putnam
Grorge M. Morgan
William Colvill
William H. Dike
Charlse P. Adams
John H Pell
Henry C. Lester
A Letter dated May 3rd  was written from James A Wright beleived  to the Editor of the Goodhue Co. Republican and published in the May 10th edition. He tells of life at Fort Snelling .
Friday, May 3rd
Lincoln realized that the 90 days service which  a militia was limited by law, was to be, too short. He issued a call for 3 years.
Tuesday, May 7th
It was suggested to Gov. Ramsey by the Secretary of War, to change to a three year term from the 90 day term of duty.
Thursday, May 9th
This date was also given  as a day that  clothing may have been distributed.
K. Co. from Winona wore a Gray uniform that was made by the people of Winona for them.
One account states, all other companies were given red flannel shirts, black trousers and black hats.
The papers of James A Wright states, Co. F was given red flannel shirts, Dark Blue Pants and black slouch hats. The Blankets were quality Mackinaw.
This page was last updated on: March 5, 2012
12 O'Clock Noon a soldier climbed the flag staff  and arranged the halyards for hauling up the flag. When everything was ready, up rose the stars and stripes, and the cannon fired a national salute of thirty-four guns. The cannon was one belonging to the state. It was carried to the fort for this special purpose. Mark Hendricks and Joseph Prine fired the cannon.
The Distributing of Clothing  and blankets at Fort Snelling.
Wednesday, May 8th
The Pantaloon and hats for the regiment arrived and were dealt out to the companies as rapidly as possible. The Pioneer Guard, Co. A was served first. A large lot of arms also arrived but, not quite enough to equip all the companies.
Thursday, May 2nd
First regimental parade, they would now be daily, at 3:00 pm and include Sundays.
Fort Snelling
Friday, May 10th

Saturday,May 11th

Friday, May 24th

Sunday, May 6th

Tuesday, May 28th

Wednesday, May 29th

Thursday, June 6th

Monday, June 10th

Friday, June 14th

Saturday, June 22nd
The men that agreed to the three year term, or could stay, were mustered in from the original date of enlistment. The men that could not agree at the time to stay were mustered out by Capt. Nelson. Although all of the men were considered to be patriotic, there were men who were released and others quickly took their place to be mustered in, as there was no shortage of volunteers.

An article in the Pioneer & Democrat state the food cooked each day at Fort Snelling to sustain the 1000 men.

The regiment was reported to be at full strength.

Sunday, May 6th, the regiment marched to St. Paul  received a flag that they were to carry with them through their term of service. It was presented by the ladies of St. Paul.  Mrs. Anne E. Ramsey was said to have addressed the Col. of the regiment. After the ceremony, the regiment boarded two steamboats, The Northern Belle and the Hawkeye State and were back in the Fort Snelling at the close of the day.

Companies B and G took the Frank Steel steamboat up river to relieve two companies of 1st Inf. at Fort Ridgely. The 1st Inf. are soldiers of the Federal  Army at the time, not volunteers that had enlisted for the rebellion.

Co. A marched to relieve two companies of the 2nd Inf. at Fort Riply.
The 2nd Inf. are soldiers of the Federal Army at the time, not volunteers that had enlisted for the rebellion. 

Company E marches to Fort Ripley.

Companies C and D march to Fort Ambercrombie

Companies F,H,I and K remained at Fort Snelling at this time.

Governor Ramsey receives word that the regiment is to report in Washington. He sends word to the companies of counties of which tenders were excepted for the first regiment to report to St. Paul to the Adjutant General and proceed to Fort Snelling.

All companies were said to have been back at Fort Snelling except  Company A. They would catch up with the regiment in a few days. It was said, Company E marched all night to get back to Fort Snelling  by morning.
This page was published on December 11, 1999
Tuesday, April 30th
It was said that the Omnibus Line was going to run omnibusses and coaches from St. Paul to Fort Snelling. The cost would be a 50 cent fare to the Fort or 75 cents to the Fort and a return. It was also said that they would carry and deliver small packages forthe volunteers for free.