Date by Date
The Last day in Red Wing & The road to Fort Snelling
The Goodhue Vols.,  and others on the road to Fort Snelling to ready for War.
Companies coming together, building the 1st Minn. Regt. Vol. Inf.
Col. William Colvill looks back in his Biography of June 22nd, 1904 and states the company left on the 24th & 25 to go to St, Paul & FortSnelling. Colvill may have went up to St. Paul and came back. Newspaper articles from the Goodhue Co. Republican, of Red Wing , The Pioneer & Democrat, of St. Paul and the History of Goodhue County  1878 & others support Saturday April 27th as the date the Company left Red Wing for St. Paul and Fort Snelling. Most of the following information on this page came from these same sources and others.

Several articles are found in the Goodhue Co. Republican of Red Wing that express the excitement  of the citizens in the past week. The company had drilled on Broadway in front of the Parker Hotel about a 1/2 dozen times that week. Each time they drew a crowd of on lookers. It was limited as to their experience to right and left face and marching.

Fort Snelling readies itself  to except the  Volunteers.

The Volunteers met at the warehouse; from there, it was said, they marched to the Episcopal Church in which Capt. Colvill was attending. There, they were given a prayer book. A short service was held at 9:00 at the Christ Church and a farewell address was given by Rev. Mr. Wells.  It was said that the service brought tears to some that do not weep. The services were concluded with " Hail Columbia" sung by the choir. The church was tastefully decorated in flags. After they were dismissed to the landing in time for the boat, the Red Wing Brass Band played "Annie Laurie".  Their departure was witnessed by a large gathering, many were relatives and friends. There were those who gave parting words, counsel and cheer.  As the steamer moved from the levee the crowd cheered and handkerchiefs and flags waved. There were hurrahs till the boat passed from site. The boat was to be in Red Wing at 12:00 but was hours late.

During the day, their were ladies of the city engaged in the task of  making lint and preparing bandages for the company if they were to need them.
Articles from the Goodhue Co. Republican of Red Wing and the History of Goodhue County 1878 and other sources document this information.

The Goodhue Vols. left for St. Paul and Fort Snelling on Saturday afternoon. They
boarded the steamer , Ocean Wave and set out for St.Paul. The Red Wing Brass Band and quite a delegation of citizens accompanied them.
Articles from the Goodhue County Republican of Red Wing, The Pioneer and Democrat of St. Paul, History of Goodhue County 1878 and other sources document this information.

At Hastings, The Ocean Wave took aboard the Dakota Vols. and the Fairbault Vols..

They reached St. Paul at about nine p.m.. There were three companies on board. An immense crowd of citizens were at the levee to welcome their arrival. As the companies filed through the streets, on the way to their quarters, there was continuous cheer. The Red Wing Brass Band added to the enthusiasm. They were received at St. Paul by the Pioneer Guards, who escorted them to their temporary quarters.

The temporary quarters were hotels.
The Goodhue Vols. were quartered at the American House.
The Fairbault Vols. were quartered at the Snelling House.
The Dakota Vols. were quartered at the Winslow House.
The Pioneer Guards, then returned to the armory and were dismissed.
Articals in the Pioneer and Democrat, of St. Paul, Sunday Morning Edition
April, 28, 1861 explaining Saturdays events.

James A. Wright's account said many years later
Early in the morning the Goodhue Company ate breakfast where ever they could get it in the city. They then formed march about 5 miles along the river to the ferry, the ferry had some trouble with the mechanics but, they then crossed the river and were all across by noon. This placed their company first to arrive at  Fort Snelling. They had a hard time to gat a meal at the fort. It was said that no-one knew who to give the meal to, as the fort was not ready for the companies.  In his over 800 pages of papers, he recollects back some 45 years to dates of events and some differ with these factual accounts that were written by the Goodhue County Republican, of Red Wing and the Pioneer and Democrat, of St. Paul and other sources at the time of the events. The date I have shown is of these other sources.

The first meals to be given were scheduled to be givin on Monday April 29th.
Friday, April 26th
Saturday,April 27th
Monday, April 29th

This page was last updated on: October 20, 2008
American House
Sunday, April 28th
This page was publised on December 11th, 1999
Thursday, April 24th & 25th
Monday, April 29th
Article in Tuesday Morning Edition  April 30th 1861of the Pioneer and Democrat of St. Paul

The article is of  Mondays events, April  29th. As they were written.

Early Yesterday morning the Golden Era arrived with the Winnona volunteers under command of Capt. Lester and immediately proceeded to Fort Snelling, which placed
that company the first at the rendezous.

About nine o' clock the Ocean Wave  started from St. Paul the the Pioneer Guard, Capt. Wilkin; St. Paul Volunteers, Capt. Acker; Goodhue volunteers, Capt. Colvill; Faribault volunteers, Capt. Dike; and the Dakota volunteers, Capt. Adams. Upon arriving at the landing below the fort three companies formed in marching order, headed by the Great Western Band, and wound up the hill to the fort.

For some reason, the reporter did not know that The Goodhue Volunteers were not on the boat and that they marched up to the fort on Sunday Morning on April 29th.
Maybe he was told in advace of what was to take place. In fact,  the Goodhue company was the first at the fort a day earlier than the Winnona volunteers and were the first at the fort. This also goes hand and hand with the fact that they could not seem to get a meal at the fort on Sunday as the first meal was planned for Monday.

About eleven o'clock, the Lincoln Guard, Capt. Putnam, of Minneapolis, and the St. Anthony Zouaves, Capt.  Morgan, each containing about one hundred men , marched into the fort and were loudly cheered.

The Stillwater volunteers, Capt. Bromley, arived about five o'clock  in the afternoon, having traveled the whole distance from that place in wagons.
The Stillwater volunteers he is talking about is  The Stillwater Guards from Stillwater.

The Wabashaw volunteers, Capt. Pell, (who was a senitor in the last legislature,) arrived on the Key City about seven o'clock last evening, and immediatly  proceeded to the fort. Wabashaw is Wabasha .  Read this once more.  It sound as if this reporter may be somewhere other than the fort. Most likely he is in St. Paul at the Adjutant General's office, at least in St. Paul as the companies pass through.

Thus, without any particular concert, the whole regiment arrived at the Fort, from distant sections of the State, on the same day.

Another article of  Mondays events of the 29th of April in this same edition  states as follows:
The Lincoln Guards,  Captian Putnum left this morning for Fort Snelling. They mustered one hundred men.  The Guards were escorted to the Court House by the Frontier Guards, and a large number of citizens. A parting speech was made by Col. Aldrrich, and responded by Captain Putnum. Cheers were given wit a will for the "Union," " Stars and Strips," and the "Lincoln Guards," The whole affair was of a highly interesting barsctor.

The St. Anthony Zuaves, Captain Morgan just passed through, numbering eighty men. The Zuaves were escorted by the Silver Greys, numbering eighty men, headed by the St. Anthony Cornet Band. On separating, a neat and appropriate address was delivere by Mayor Merriman.  The Zuaves then took their line of march, amid vociferous cheering.  This company is composed entirely of young men, and is certainly as fine a looking company as any that will rendezvous at the Old Fort.

Hennepin county has responded nobly to the President's proclamation. Two noble companies have already marched, and there is still sufficient materials left to double the amount required.
Early yesterday morning is  Monday, April 29th, 1861
I have seen several dates mentioned to these accounts but do not fit into the historical puzzle.

All of these companies would have been given a specific date to report. It makes sence that all would report on the day they were ordered.
Christ Church